According to the Decision of the CPC Committee on Deepening the Reform of Party and Government Institutions and the Plan of Furthering the Reform of Party and Government Institutions adopted at the Third Plenary Session of the 19th CPC Central Committee, and the Institutional Reform Plan of the State Council approved by the First Session of the 13th National People's Congress, the functions and main responsibilities of the Ministry of Justice are as follows:
1. The Ministry of Justice of the People's Republic of China is a part of the State Council, and is a ministry-level organ.
2. The Office of the Commission for Overall Law-based Governance of the CPC Central Committee is located in the Ministry of Justice.
3. The mission of the Ministry of Justice is to implement the CPC Central Committee's principles, policies, and decision-making arrangements for overall law-based governance. In the course of performing its duties, the Ministry adheres to and strengthens the Party's centralized and unified leadership over the comprehensive rule of law. The main responsibilities are:
(1) To undertake policy research on major issues of law-based governance of the country, coordinate with relevant agencies to put forward medium and long-term plans for the comprehensive rule of law, and oversee implementation of major policy decisions.
(2) To overall plan the legislative work, and collect suggestions from the public on law and regulation formulation.
(3) To draft or organize the drafting of laws and administrative regulations; and conduct legislative coordination.
(4) To interpret administrative regulations and conduct post-legislative evaluations; review local laws and regulations; and organize the cleanup of regulations.
(5) To plan the construction of a law-based government; deal with administrative reconsideration applications for the State Council's adjudication; guide and supervise the administrative reconsideration and administrative response across the country, and conduct administrative reconsideration and handle litigation cases.
(6) To plan the construction of a law-based society; formulate publicity and education plans about the rule of law, implement publicity for law popularization, and organize the publicity of rule of law; push for people's participation in and promotion of rule of law construction; guide law-based governance and the creation of the rule of law; conduct the selection, appointment, and management of people's jurors and people's supervisors; and promote the construction of judicial offices.
(7) To conduct prison administration in China, supervise enforcement of criminal penalty and corrections; guide and supervise community corrections; and guide education and management activities for those released from prison.
(8) To supervise and administer the drug rehabilitation sites of judicial administrations.
(9) To draft the construction plan for the public legal service system and guide its implementation; coordinate and arrange urban, rural and regional legal service resources; guide and supervise lawyers, legal aid, judicial appraisal, notarization and arbitration services, and grassroots legal services; and undertake the entrustment and management of Hong Kong and Macao lawyers as commissioned notaries.
(10) To organize and implement the national unified legal professional qualification examination.
(11) To undertake international judicial cooperation; perform the duties of the foreign relations organ (central organ) determined by the international judicial assistance treaties, and participate in the negotiation of international judicial assistance treaties; legally review the international treaties concluded or acceded to by China and submitted to the State Council for review; carry out international judicial cooperation and exchanges; and handle the legal affairs related to Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
(12) To administer firearms, ammunition, uniforms and police cars of the judicial system; and guide and supervise the financial, equipment, facilities, and site guarantees throughout the system.
(13) To plan, coordinate, and guide the construction of law talents teams, and guide and supervise the construction of judicial system teams; manage and supervise police in the system; and assist provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities in managing leading officials of their judicial department.
(14) To undertake other assignments from the CPC Central Committee and the State Council.